Bacolod Masskara Festival Official Site stole my Photo!

Just today, I discovered that the Bacolod City Masskara Festival Official Website has used my image without my permission. And I am really pissed.

Imagine I had a hard time in obtaining a Media ID for myself and my 2 other guests just to shoot at the plaza. I also have to shell out thousands of pesos for my airfare just to shoot this event.

But what did the Masskara Festival Organizers did (or at least their website administrators)? Just copied my image without my permission and placed it on their website. Simple as it is. No credits, no backlinks.

So what do you call that? Stealing. Period. It IS stealing.

While you are busy campaigning for media, photographers and tourists to visit Bacolod during the Masskara Festival, your Website administrators are also busy copying images available on the Internet for your Festival website. Is this how you get photos from the photographers who have paid airfares and stayed in Bacolod hotels during the Masskara Festival?

Haven?t you lectured them about Intellectual Property Rights and the laws on Copyright Infringement?

If you think that all photos and materials on the Internet are free for taking, think again. Review the Republic Act No. 8293 or the Intellectual Property Code of the Philippines.

I really feel bad that my fellow Ilonggo has done this to me.

See the screenshot from thei official webpage below:

masskarabacolod
Click here for larger version

Compare MY photo on the left as it originally appeared here and the enlarged version of the photo from the screenshot. You think its similar? You?d be the judge.

grab

Comments

1. ypixx.com says:

I agree with you totally. At the very least, they should ask your permission. How about informing them to remove your photo from their website. On the other side of the story, you are really popular. Sayo pa sila kumukuha ng photos for their website.

2. dimaks says:

oi malupit ito ah. kaya ako, kung walang backlink o credit, at least binabanggit ko ang site kung san ko kinuha ang picture. kung ako ang judge dito,ninakawan ka nga. parehong-pareho ang angle of tilt ng pictures.

3. poi2 says:

ive contacted visayan daily star to shed light on these photo pirates. :)

4. ay kailinit gid ni ya! cla pa naman ang “official” masskara website kuno. they should be taught a lesson!

5. They should’ve at least displayed some courtesy by asking permission to the owner…but this? Without any acknowledge is a violation to IPR.

Eric, I’ll support you like what we did in our early struggles against discourteous practice of some local media and the likes.

6. Anniemay says:

hi Eric, I will provide feedback to the masskarabacolod.com developer, since i work for teleperformance bacolod. i will link back to this blog entry…

7. glenn mendoza says:

it always happen to eric… lagi sya ninanakawan ng pictures. tsk tsk tsk. mabait naman yan si eric eh… pwede nga humingi ng pics dyan ng libre magpa alam lng ng maayos. haaay…

file a case bro.. sobra na yan.

8. Micamyx says:

At nangyari na naman tsktsk.

Sana nagpaalam man lang yung web admin nila or minention man lang yung blog mo.

Oh well. Turuan na ng leksyon yan reyna hehe

9. Frugal Pinoy says:

It’s not similar, it’s the exact same photo!

Did you contact them? You should contact them, and then give us an update. I’d like to see how they’d respond.

10. noemi says:

File a DMCA violation with their webhost. If the webhost is located in the US, they will surely abide with your complaint.

11. anne says:

as posted on masskarabacolod.com :

We are temporarily removing the mainpage of this site after we have received a complaint from Mr. Enrico Dee yesterday that one of the picture posted on this page which was submitted by a certain Cris Rios was his original masterpiece and not of Mr. Rios.

We have contacted Mr. Rios yesterday and today he claimed in his email that it was his original photo, however, he failed to submit any proof on his claim.

Hence, for his failure to provide proof of ownership of that masterpiece we have to removed it from the site and would like to express our sincerest apology to Mr. Dee for what had happened.

In the meantime, feel free to visit our Forum Page.

Sincerely,

admin@masskarabacolod.com

12. jepoy says:

That Rios guy is one big douche. :))

13. georgecal says:

Mr. Dee, I agree and know the feeling. Bakit kaya dami palpak s nagpapalakad nito ngaung taong. Never in the history of Masskara n my alingasngas s result ng masskra street dancing. tapos into n nman ngaun. Now i believed if they can afford to steal photos from you, i guess i now believe that Bgy. villamonte-cebuana lhuillier was also robbed their victory. Nakakahiya kayo. Narining k rin n handa cla sagutin ang reklamo ng Villamonte, bakit villamonte lng ba kelangan sagutin nyo about your result? Sagutin nyo ang Bacolod. I went to one of the bowling alleys here in Bacolod at ung pagkatalo p rin ng Vilamonte ang pinag-usapan. Show the public what they need to know why Villamonte lost.

14. Anton Sheker says:

Eric,

You are not alone!

You see the mask beside the globe callcard? thats my photo..

here is the original photo..

here is the same photo printed on a daily newspaper..

15. OMG, Eric!

Can’t imagine that this photo piracy is rampant in our very own Philippines! Mga Pinoy nga naman oh!

Kahit may watermarks pa, nabubura pa rin!

They should have use their own or you deserve a proper credit for the nice photos!

16. Joemel says:

I am one of the frequent visitor of http://www.masskarabacolod.com and if you happen to click on the list of their sponsors you will see that where the photo of Aton was taken was properly acknowlege except that his name was not included on the persons that was acknowlege.

Also, I notice today that Cris’ name was already removed from their acknowlegement page and instead Eric name is on it.

But I hope that MassKara will still exert effort in locating that guy- Cris. maybe they can retrieve his IP address. He’s a stupid guy to claim ownership of someting that is not of him.