Visitng the Monastery of the Transfiguration in Bukidnon

Posted by on March 20, 2009

The Monastery of Transfiguration in Malaybalay Bukidnon is just one of the places that I really wanted to see when visiting the province known for its pineapples.

transfiguration chapel

Inside the huge Monastery complex, a Chapel of the Transfiguration was built on top of a small hill, giving a breathtaking view of the Bukidnon mountains. The pyramidal shaped chapel was designed by no less than the National Artist for Architecture himself, Mr. Leandro Locsin.

Among his other works are the Cultural Center of the Philippines, the University of the Philippines Chapel, Davao International Airport and the Nurul Istana Iman in Brunei Darussalam.

bukidnon mountains

Aside from the Chapel, the place is also known as the source of the popular Monk’s Blend coffee.

The Monastery is run by the Benedictine Monks who live in a life of prayer, silence and simplicity.

monk's blend coffee

A few hundred meters away from the chapel is the monastery gift shop/ pasalubong center.

From here, guests can pick a variety of items for pasalubong like rosaries, prayer books, Tshirts, St. Benedict medals and the popular Monks Blend coffee. The Monk’s Blend comes in two variants: whole beans and finely ground coffee.

Monastery of Transfiguration Pasalubong Shop

Going to the Monastery of the Transfiguration may be a bit tricky. Since it would entail a very long walk if you take the public transport.

so what we did to get there was arrange with a jeepney driver at the Malaybalay Jeepney Terminal. We agreed at the rate of 300 pesos. Not a bad price since the chapel is really far from the highway.

malaybalay jeepney terminal

Comments

1. The chapel truly compliments the natural beauty of the surrounding mountains. Just the perfect place for Lenten season meditation.

2. dong ho says:

ganda! i was supposed to see this two years ago but was not permitted by time.

3. dang says:

I will be going to Iligan on July and I want to visit the Monastery of Transfiguration. Can you tell me the direction going there? I don’t know anything about the place. Is it accesible? you mentioned that your hire a jeep going there, its okay for me to pay 300 or more as long as I can reach the place and its safe. I will be just alone in going there, so I’m quite nervous of hiring a jeep just by myself. inintay ba kayo noong jeep. please help me, hope to hear from you.

4. Enrico Dee says:

Hello Dang,

Bukidnon is very safe. The jeppeny friver waited for us , while we stayed for a bit at the chapel taking fotos then head to the pasalubong shop for some coffee, and other goodies.

300pesos is a good price already. since the monastery itself is a bit off from the main road.

5. Gil Bermudez says:

Hello! it is safe to travel there. I’d been there twice in 1994. From Malaybalay’s agora I just boarded a jeepney going to Valencia and I asked the driver to drop me at the entry point going to the monastery at brgy san joseph. I took a 20 minute walk to reach the place. It’s so inspiring reaching that place.

6. Kim says:

Was that P300 for the entire jeep or P300 per head? How many people were in your group?